Monday, 17 October 2011

Today's 'It Makes Me Mad' Rant: Facebook and Twitter Status Updates

Having now resigned myself to blogging on a daily basis, I thought it would be interesting to post a daily 'It Makes Me Mad' feature.  Today, I am going to discuss Facebook and Twitter updates.

Do you ever find yourself irritated by your friends posting constant status updates on Facebook and Twitter?  In my experience, I find this phenomenon the most irritating on Facebook.  I have actually left Facebook twice because of this and only returned because none of my 'friends' seemed able to communicate solely by email or telephone.

I just don't see the need for people to tell you that they are in a particular bar/cafe/restaurant/club.  Why do they feel the need?  Speaking with a friend about this constant need people seem to have to highlight their whereabouts, it got me thinking.  Surely if you were to continually ask someone where they were or where they intended to go, they would get justifiably irked?  I know I would.  And yet it seems that people have this need to share.  I just don't get it!

What is more, where has this attitude come from?  Is it related in any way to today's 'celebrity culture' and the steep rise in the popularity of reality TV shows?

I'd love to hear your views on this...

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment